being a new company that is established in 2012 HostMetro only provides shared hosting. And they are among the web hosts with a guaranteed price lock. So that your pricing won’t double when it is time to renew.
Moreover, they claim about having 99.9% uptime also. Which of them is actually true?
Let’s find out.
So, in order to find the truth we set up a basic WordPress test website on the HostMetro ‘Mega Max Plan’ in June 2015. From there we have been monitoring and analyzing their performance. Mainly the important details like uptime and speed to give you an unbiased review.
Advantages of HostMetro Hosting
The most attractive plus point was their ‘Price Lock Guarantee’. Let’s see what else they have.
1. Inconsistently decent Customer Support
The beginning of the HostMetro Customer Support was very good. Their agents connected quickly and answered all our questions efficiently.
However, our background checks revealed mixed reviews regarding the availability of their customer support department.
- “We are unable to log in to our c-panel and email is not working. We have tried contacting your online support and no one is picking up. Will anyone of you explain to me what’s happening?”
- “Your customer service is terrible! I am definitely looking for a new host. I was told you would get my site reactivated so I could fix things re the plugins. It hasn’t been done. This has happened sooo many times and I am done.”
- “Hello guys, this is almost days now our websites are down and we are getting no help, taking 24hrs to reply for a ticket? I want help soonest, I can’t even reach you on call.”
- “What seems to be the problem with your support? I can’t get hold of anyone over the phone and its almost two hours wait. I can’t even connect with your chat support. And your email support is very slow. We are having an issue with our emails and I want somebody to fix it for me.”
2. Price Lock Guarantee
As you already know most web hosts will offer you a surprisingly low rate when you are signing up. And doubles or even triple the price when it’s time to renew your plan.
But HostMetro guarantees your initial registration rate won’t change, even in future renewals. So that will be a great deal if you are planning to stay with HostMetro for the long term.
3. Free website transfer (+limitations)
HostMetro offers free site migration of your existing website to their servers. But your website should not exceed 3GB and you must request site transfer within 30 days of creating an account.
That way you will be able to get your money back if you are not satisfied with their service.
4. 99.9% Uptime guarantee
The uptime guarantee policy is mentioned in HostMetro’s Terms.
If their annual uptime falls below 99%, they are ready to give you a free month of hosting. Even though the cut off value is lower than the average uptime, this policy indicates their confidence in the service.
For your information, there are some exceptions also. If the downtime is due to a natural disaster or a big hack that will not be calculated into the uptime average.
5. 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
As a new HostMetro customer if you are not happy with their service, you can ask for a full refund. But that should be during the first 30 days.
But the refund amount may vary according to the following.
Refunds only apply to host plans. Therefore another add ons (backup services, domain names) are not refundable.
You can take domain names to another host if you have paid for that particular domain name.
If the domain name is given free by HostMetro, they will subtract the cost from the refund amount.
The same applies to the free SSL certificate.
So please make sure to check your plan twice for these free extras, as they may come again and haunt you someday.
Disadvantages of HostMetro Hosting
Even though they offer a price lock guarantee is a plus point, minus points are more.
Let’s look into them.
1. Slow Page Speeds
The average page loading time of HostMetro was 1116ms during the last two years. That is four times slower than the fastest host. (That is A2 Hosting)
Considering that a one-second delay may result in 7% conversions, HostMetro will cost more than the service.
Almost every month they had below averages consistently.
Average Load times during past one year:
2. 99.81% Uptime
The uptime is the same. It was below average during the past two years.
Even though they offer a free month of hosting whenever their uptimes are below 99.9%, you have to be cautious. Because an hour of downtime per month may repel your visitors, conversions, and thereby money and sales.
Average uptimes of last year:
- January 2020 average uptime: 99.98%
- December 2019 average uptime: 99.69%
- November 2019 average uptime: 99.59%
- October 2019 average uptime: 98.91%
- September 2019 average uptime: 99.94%
- August 2019 average uptime: 99.97%
- July 2019 average uptime: 99.90%
- June 2019 average uptime: 99.57%
- May 2019 average uptime: 99.97%
- April 2019 average uptime: 99.83%
- March 2019 average uptime: 99.94%
- February 2019 average uptime: 99.84%
3. Costly “Free” backups
According to HostMetro’s Terms, they offer free backup services as a courtesy.
But there are some issues like,
- Backup only runs once a month (ideally it should be daily or weekly)
- They on1 GB size
- You have to pay $39.95 to restore the backup.
Unfortunately, the backup isn’t actually free!
4. Only Shared Hosting
HostMetro only has two shared hosting plans. VPS, cloud or dedicated hosting options are unavailable.
That will hinder the expansion of your existing infrastructure.
5. Restrictive FREE domain offer
When signing up, you will get a free domain name only if you use their FREE DOMAIN coupon code.
And even the domain name renewal will cost you $14.49 ( more expensive than most of the domain name registrars).
6. ‘Setup Fee’ on Monthly Plans
Though HostMetro offers a true month-to-month hosting plan, the rate rises rapidly and the setup fee will be $14.49.
7. More expensive short term plans
As same to most web hosts HostMetro advertises a monthly price of,$2’95. But to get that you have to sign up for three years. And another important thing is that the shortest plan of HostMetro is one year and it will also, cost $4.95 per month.
HostMetro Pricing, Hosting Plans and Quick Facts
The following are some details about their one and only shared hosting plans.
- Mega Max Plan
Starts from $2.95/month
Unlimited storage, bandwidth
Supports unlimited websites
- Super Max Plan
Starts from $6.95/month
Unlimited storage and bandwidth
Supports unlimited websites
A free SSL certificate
Daily malware scan
- Ease of signup
- Payment methods
Credit Card, PayPal
- Hidden Fees and Clauses
Accounts are limited to 200,000 inodes, 10% CPU, and memory. If you exceed the limit your account might get suspended or you won’t be eligible for a refund.
- Account Activation
Takes a long time
You can make it fast by paying a fee of $5
- Control Panel and Dashboard experience
- Installation of Apps and CMSs (WordPress, Joomla, etc)
One-click installation with Softaculous
Do we recommend HostMetro?
No, we don’t.
Because they are many minus points like slowest page loading speeds, bad uptime, lengthy downtimes likewise. The only plus point was their price lock guarantee.