So to start up with the review process we set up a WordPress website after purchasing the Justhost “Shared Plan” in June 2015. And we kept monitoring them (mainly the uptime and speed) since then to come up with an honest review. You will see the results below.
Advantages of Justhost Hosting
Let’s have a look at the plus points of Justhost.
1. Instant Provision of Servers
When you are signing up with a host, some may require a lengthy sign-up process. They will ask you to verify via phone likewise.
But with Justhost, you don’t have to go through that length, boring process. They will offer instant server provisioning if you are going with their premium, VPS, or dedicated services.
2. 30 Day Money Back Guarantee and some Add Ons
As same as most of the hosts, Justhost also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. So you will be able to make a decision without any problem if you are not satisfied with their services.
But there is an important thing to keep in mind. That is the refund policy only applies to the hosting service. Not for other products like domains.
As they have included free domains, Justhost will deduct a domain fee of $15.99 Which is non-refundable.
If you are moving to another web host, you can transfer the domain name. But you won’t be able to transfer newly registered domains to another host within 60 days of activation. When talking about the extras Justhost easily integrates with popular platforms like Google Apps. Moreover, they will offer free Google and Bing advertising credits. This will be very beneficial if you are starting the generation of online sales.
3. Free Domain Name
Justhost will give you a free domain name when you sign up irrespective of the hosting plan you select!
4. Free Script Library
You will be eligible to get a free full script library with every Justhost account. You can directly install the simple scripts to your subdomain automatically. WordPress, osCommerce, phpBB, and Joomla are the available scripts.
5. Good Security
There are few things you must consider before committing with a web host. Amongst those things, security will be at the top.
Fortunately, Justhost has various forms of site security like Secure Socket Layer (SSL), secure shell (SSH), solid-state drive (SSD), and many more.
As Justhost also offers SiteLock, that will include,
- Daily 360-degree vulnerability scanning
- Dashboard Reports
- Alerts & Email Notifications
- A dynamic verifiable security badge
- Security Maintenance
- 360-degree scanning (defacement, drive-by downloads, database vulnerabilities and application vulnerabilities)
Another important thing is you will be receiving instant alerts and reports to your email address and Dashboard if a threat is detected. So you will be able to take necessary actions to protect your site.
Justhost even claims that you can get help from their team if you are not familiar with cleaning malicious files by yourself.
6. Improved Page Loading Times
According to the page loading times during the last two years, Justhost has shown a loading time of 731ms. That is a good value when compared with industry standards.
As the page loading time is one of the reasons that determine the traffic of your site, it will be a very good thing if Justhost is able to keep up the good speed.
Average Load Times during last year:
Disadvantages of Justhost Hosting
Up to now the pros of Justhost Hosting are 30-day money-back guarantee, above-average page loading speed, good security, and so on.
Now let’s have a look at the cons of Justhost.
1. Inadequate Customer Support
The overall experience was quite okay. Justhost support was able to connect with us within 3 minutes. And they provided the replies very quickly.
But the background check got some mixed reviews. It showed that customer support maybe got worse since 2015. On Twitter also there were some complaints which were posted by several customers.
In conclusion, we have to warn you if you are looking for 24/7 customer support, please think twice before committing with Justhost.
2. Below Average Uptime
During the last two years, Justhost had an uptime of 99.88% which is below the industry standard. But they have shown pretty good results and even managed to keep the uptime 100% from December 2018 to March 2019. However, that didn’t help to boost up the average uptime.
Average Uptimes during last year:
- January 2020 average uptime: 99.46%
- December 2019 average uptime: 99.87%
- November 2019 average uptime: 99.99%
- October 2019 average uptime: 98.20%
- September 2019 average uptime: 99.99%
- August 2019 average uptime: 99.97%
- July 2019 average uptime: 99.98%
- June 2019 average uptime: 99.99%
- May 2019 average uptime: 99.99%
- April 2019 average uptime: 99.98%
- March 2019 average uptime: 100%
- February 2019 average uptime: 100%
3. Cheapest Price only with a three year, upfront payment
If you look from the outside the starting monthly rate of Justhost will look like a pretty good deal. Because that is only $3.95 per month. But you have to pay for three years to get that low rate. Or else you will have to pay $5.95 per month for shorter plans.
The worse thing is when your plan ends your pricing options will rise again.
4. Weekly backups are not guaranteed
It’s a good thing that Justhost offers weekly backups. But they don’t guarantee them. So you will be needing a plan B in case if they don’t backup. That’s pretty annoying right.
5. The Quantity of Upsells was too high
Some hosts have upsells. But they are not bothersome. Sadly, the amount of upsells with Justhost is very frustrating.
Even though most of the customers have complained they are still practicing that.
Justhost Pricing, Hosting Plans & Quick Facts
- Basic Plan
Supports one website
50 GB disk space
5 email accounts (100MB storage per account)
- Plus Plan
Supports 10 websites
150 GB disk space
Supports 50 subdomain names
100 email accounts (500MB per account)
- Prime Plan
Supports unlimited websites
Allows unlimited subdomains
Unlimited email accounts
One SSL certificate
1 dedicated IP
Premium backup protection
- Free domain Yes
- Ease of signup Only two steps
- Payment Methods Credit card, PayPal
- Hidden Fees and Clauses Shared hosting accounts have a limit of 200,000 inodes, 1,000 database tables, and 3GB total MySQL/PostgreSQL databases. Exceeding this limit may lead to termination of your account with or without notice.
- Upsells A lot
- Account Activation Instant
- Control Panel and Dashboard Experience Heavily Customized cPanel
- Installation of Apps and CMSs (WordPress, Joomla, etc) One-click installation
Do we recommend Justhost?
Very difficult to say.
Though Justhost has a good page loading speed, it has failed in uptime and customer support. The customer support was at average levels and the uptimes are below average.