WebHostingPad is a hosting company that is popular because of its cheaper plans. They are like under two bucks cheap.
It is first established in 2005 by a small group of individuals. And showed stable growth during the past decade at low prices.
So, in order to provide you an honest review, we purchased a WebHostingPad “Power Plan” in June 2015 and set up a basic WordPress website.
Then started to monitor their performance during the past few months including uptime and speed. Just read the full review to get more details.
Advantages of using WebHostingPad
Apart from the low price, WebHostingPad has several plus points.
1. Decent Customer Support
The overall personal experience with WebHostingPad was quite good actually. One pf their support staff connected with us instantly. He was able to get back to us with the answers within about a minute after every question. Though that was not the best experience we have had, it was pretty good.
However, the customer reviews were mixed ones similar to most of the hosts. The following are some reviews posted by some customers.
- “My email to an address at verizon.net continues to bounce. I’ve filled out two support tickets, but no response. Why can’t I get this resolved?”
- “Hi, can you please let us know what time the live technical support works please – as we tried it when the system said it was online – but then it decided you were offline after all – and told us to send an email message which has not yet been answered. Many thanks”
- “Hi, I’ve had issues with my website going down but your support team tells me that it’s fine and there are no problems. I’m really not getting the help I think I should be and I’m definitely an unhappy customer. Can someone help me please and show me that you do care about your customers?”
- “My website is down and I cannot reach anyone in customer service. On the phone, it says to leave a message but then says “sorry but the user mailbox is full”. It also suggests using live chat but when I do that it disconnects me and says no online agents are available. So, I’ve emailed a ticket. I’m just wondering what’s going on and I’d like to resolve this promptly. Thanks.”
2. Amazingly Cheap
As I have mentioned earlier, WebHostingPad plans are unbelievably cheap. They are the cheapest plan we know apart from the Essential Plan in iPage.
Now you might be thinking that why so cheap? Yes. There are some reasons. You will see them in the disadvantages section. But WebHostingPad will be a good choice if you only consider the price.
3. Strong Money Back Guarantee
If you’re not satisfied with WebHostingPad’s services they have a solid 30-day money-back guarantee. But the refund policy only covers hosting purchases. It doesn’t applicable to renewals, addons, site transfer fees, service charges, and domain name registrations or renewals including free domain registrations. Because free domain registrations are a part of WebHostingPad’s free domain coupon offer.
4. Security Enhancements
As you already know most of the available cheapest options are lack in extra stuff like security options.
Thankfully WebHostingPad is not so. They are offering an automated malware scanner and malware quarantine for WordPress hosting plans.
Disadvantages of using WebHostingPad
Often a product or a service becomes cheap for a reason. That is the same with WebHostingPad also.
Let’s have a look at the cons list.
1. Very low uptime (99.23%)
Uptime is one of the Essential facts you have to consider when looking for a web hosting company. Because a website will be good only it is up to its visitors and potential customers.
Even though WebHostingPad claims of 99% uptime, they have failed to achieve that. They have only managed to deliver an uptime of 99.23% during the last two years, which is below average.
Average uptimes during last year:
- January 2020 average uptime: 99.89%
- December 2019 average uptime: 99.85%
- November 2019 average uptime: 99.78%
- October 2019 average uptime: 99.87%
- September 2019 average uptime: 99.85%
- August 2019 average uptime: 99.81%
- July 2019 average uptime: 99.83%
- June 2019 average uptime: 99.77%
- May 2019 average uptime: 99.81%
- April 2019 average uptime: 99.89%
- March 2019 average uptime: 99.97%
- February 2019 average uptime: 99.92%
2. Slow page loading time
Page Loading time is another key factor to maintain the traffic of your website. And your web host has to make sure to deliver that accordingly.
Not only a slow page loading time annoys people it will also affect search engine rankings and conversions even.
WebHostingPad has failed in this also. Their average page loading time was 1,021ms during the past two years. That is more than one second! Not close to competing with today’s internet world.
Average load times during last year:
3. Strings Attached “Free” Domain Registration
Just like the other web hosts, WebHostingPad offers a free domain name when you are signing up. But there are some alarm bells ringing.
In order to get the free domain name offer, you have to sign up with the FREE DOMAIN coupon, any other coupon will invalidate this. Then you have to pay $14.95 per year to renew the domain name. For your information, you can buy a domain name for less than $10 during these days on other websites.
So, its time to think twice, right?
4. Very Limited Website Transfers
WebHostingPad will offer a free single site migration at the beginning.
But it will only be free if the size is less than 2GB. And won’t include email addresses, FTP Accounts, subdomains or add on domains. So you will have to recreate them within their control panel.
5. Very limited Backup Option
WebHostingPad also provides free backups for new customers similar to most of the hosts. It sounds like an amazing deal, right?
But there is something hidden in WebHostingPad’s Terms of Service:
“WebHostingPad, at our sole discretion, will take weekly backups of customer’s accounts, up to and including 1GB of website files only. This backup does not include email addresses, email accounts, databases, or anything other than website files. Any account that is larger than 1GB will not be included in any automated backup service provided by WebHostingPad. In the event that a customer requires a backup to be restored, WebHostingPad may charge a one-time backup restoration service fee of $39.95.”
In simple terms, they have some restrictions on backups.
- They are only taking backups at their “solid discretion” (we don’t know what that means)
Backup should be less than 1GB.
- The backup doesn’t include emails and databases, only include website files.
- They might charge a restoration fee of $39.95 to restore the backup. (It’s not free!)
- You can’t manually backup via cPanel. To enable the option you have to pay again.
So, this is not a good backup offer at all. And even they are limiting your ability to manually backup the site.
WebHostingPad Pricing, Hosting Plans and Quick Facts
- Power Plan
Starts from $1.99/month
Unlimited storage, bandwidth
Supports unlimited websites
(We used this plan)
- Power Plan Plus
Starts from $4.99/month
Unlimited storage, bandwidth
Supports unlimited websites
A free SSL certificate
Advanced Spam Filter
Additionally, they have WordPress sharing options. But according to our experience, they are not better than regular shared hosting though they come with unlimited storage and unlimited email accounts.
- Free Domain
- Ease of signup
Yes, only one page
- Payment Methods
Credit card, PayPal, Alipay, Bitcoin, Check, Money Order, Western Union
- Hidden Fees and Clauses
To restore the backups you have to pay $39.95. And the users should not exceed 150,000 total files. If you are exceeding the limit you can buy another block of 150,000 files for $10/month. If you reach the limit and not responding to their notifications they will automatically bill you $10/month per additional 150,000 files. You can’t use more than 10% CPU and memory, your sessions should be no longer than 10 minutes and only 300 emails are allowed per hour or 3,000 mails per day.
- Account Activation
- Control Panel and Dashboard Experience
- Installation of Apps and CMSs (WordPress, Joomla, etc)
Simple and Quick with Softaculous
Do We Recommend WebHostingPad?
They have failed in the main jobs that a web host should do. Only customer support is decent. And the limitations are a complete mess.
There are better alternatives like iPage and Hostinger if you are concerned about the pricing. (Both are under $2)